Out of Africa Raw Unrefined Shea Butter Review

Out of Africa Certified Fair Trade Raw Unrefined Shea Butter



















Out of Africa Unrefined Shea Butter Review

Editor’s note: This review reflects the version of Out of Africa Unrefined Shea Butter that I originally purchased. Packaging, sourcing, certification and availability may have changed.

Disclosure: I purchased this product myself. This post is not sponsored.

I discovered Out of Africa Unrefined Shea Butter while searching for a simple, fragrance-free moisturizer for very dry skin.

The product contained 100% unrefined shea butter and came in an 8-ounce jar. I was especially interested in its rich texture and minimal formula.

This review focuses on the product’s texture, scent and usability. I discuss my historical experience with dry, irritated skin and the accompanying photographs in a separate personal skin diary.

Texture and consistency

The shea butter was firmly compressed inside the jar. Because my home was not particularly warm, it remained fairly solid at room temperature.

The surface softened slightly when I pressed it with my finger, but I usually had to scrape out a small amount. The initial texture felt thick, sticky and somewhat dough-like.

After rubbing it between my hands for several seconds, the shea butter melted into an oily balm. The transformation reminded me of Egyptian Magic, although this product felt thicker and took slightly longer to melt.

A dime-sized amount was more than I needed for both arms. Because the formula was so concentrated, starting with a much smaller amount produced a more comfortable result.

It initially felt heavy on my skin. Most of the oily sensation diminished after approximately 15 to 30 minutes, although the exact absorption time depended on how much I applied.

Scent

The unrefined shea butter had a natural nutty and slightly woody scent.

It reminded me of almonds, peanuts or another type of nut, although I found the aroma difficult to describe precisely. The scent was noticeable when I first applied it but gradually faded.

I did not find it unpleasant, but someone accustomed to unscented or fragranced body creams might need time to adjust to the natural aroma.

The product did not contain added fragrance in the version I tested.

How I used it on my body

I primarily used the shea butter as a rich moisturizer for my arms, hands, lips and other areas that felt very dry.

It was especially useful after frequent handwashing, washing dishes or doing household chores. I kept the jar on my desk and applied a small amount when my hands felt dry.

Because the product was so heavy, I preferred it for targeted areas rather than applying a thick layer over my entire body.

It also worked as a lip moisturizer for me. I liked it as an alternative when I wanted a simple balm without added flavor or fragrance.

My experience using it on my face

The shea butter was too thick and heavy for regular use on my face.

When I tested it as a facial moisturizer, I developed several blemishes. I cannot prove that the shea butter caused every breakout, but the texture did not appear to suit my acne-prone complexion.

I occasionally tried a very small amount around the outer under-eye area when my skin felt especially dry. It provided a heavy layer of moisture, but I found it too rich for everyday use.

Based on my experience, I preferred using it on my body, hands and lips.

Application tips

I received the best results when I used much less product than I initially thought I needed.

I scraped out a small amount with clean, dry fingers, warmed it between my palms and pressed it onto dry areas. Rubbing it between my hands first made it easier to spread.

When the surface became particularly firm, I gently loosened a small section with a clean, dry cosmetic spatula. I would avoid repeatedly placing a household fork into the container because keeping the jar and applicator clean is important.

I also would not add water or oils directly to the entire jar. When I wanted a softer application, I mixed one small, single-use portion with a drop of body oil in my palm immediately before applying it.

Using it on dry, irritated skin

I originally bought this product while searching for ways to make persistently dry and irritated areas feel more comfortable.

The shea butter helped the surface of my skin feel softer and less tight. However, I do not consider it a cure for eczema, dermatitis, scars, stretch marks or any other medical condition.

My skin was changing during the same period for several reasons, including changes in my environment, scratching, sweating and the use of other products. I therefore cannot attribute longer-term changes solely to the shea butter.

Persistent or worsening skin irritation should be evaluated by an appropriate healthcare professional.

Company and sourcing information

At the time I purchased the product, Out of Africa promoted its shea butter as traditionally produced in West Africa and Fair Trade Certified.

Because sourcing arrangements and certifications can change, readers should review the current packaging and company information rather than relying on this historical article for present-day certification details.

Supporting responsible businesses is important to me, but I also try to distinguish independently verified information from a company’s own marketing claims.

Availability

I originally discovered the product through Drugstore.com and had difficulty finding it in local stores. I checked Walgreens but found only a small selection of the brand’s soaps at the time.

Those retailers and product selections have since changed, so this article should not be used as a current store-availability guide.



Final thoughts

Out of Africa Unrefined Shea Butter was an effective heavy moisturizer for the driest areas of my body.

I liked its simple formula, concentrated texture and lack of added fragrance. A small amount covered a surprisingly large area, making the jar last longer than a typical body lotion.

The disadvantages were its firm consistency, slow absorption and heavy feel. It was also too rich for my acne-prone face.

I would recommend considering it as a body moisturizer for someone who enjoys thick, balm-like products. I would not present it as a medical treatment or assume it will suit every skin type.

Individual experiences can vary, so begin with a small amount and stop using it if irritation develops.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts