Skip to main content

Out of Africa Raw Unrefined Shea Butter

Out of Africa Certified Fair Trade Raw Unrefined Shea Butter
Description from Out of Africa:

All Shea Butter Is Not Created Equal!
We select the finest shea butter nuts from Burkina Faso, Ghana, & Benin West Africa. Our 100% pure unrefined premium shea butter has been extracted using traditional methods and remains in its nutrient rich, natural unrefined state. Sustainable farming. Absolutely no chemicals added.

Don't be fooled, "refined" is not better! Refining shea butter is usually done by bleaching and deodorizing it; neutralizing it with lye; and over-heating it to very high temperatures.
• Loaded with antioxidants and vitamins A, E, & F along with healthy fatty acids and valuable phytonutrients
• Absorbs easily, great for all skin types including those with skin sensitivites
• Helps prevent and reduce stretch marks during pregnancy and weight gain and loss
• Excellent solution for minimizing scars and stretch marks
• Maintains elasticity and tone while it moisturizes and softens the skin
• Mild enough for delicate skin of a baby
• Softens fine lines and wrinkles and scars
• Excellent for many skin conditions, including dry and sensitive skin, psoriasis and eczema
Also exceptional for: Cracked Skin • Sun Burn • Chapped Lips • Cuticles.


What is my initial reaction to the product?
It comes in a small 8 oz jar that is fully compressed with unrefined shea butter. It's not hot in my house so the shea butter is pretty firm. When I touch it in the jar, the heat from my finger slightly melts it. It's not too soft so I have to scrape it out with my fingers. I took about a dime size of shea on my finger. Feels thick and dough-like stickiness to the touch when i rub my fingers to melt it. Within seconds of rubbing the product with my hands, it turns into a liquified oily substance. It does the same thing as Egyptian's Magic skin cream but thicker and a bit longer to melt. That little product was actually a bit much and thick for both my arms. It took at least 15 minutes for it to slowly absorb into my skin. After about 30 minutes, it didn't feel as heavy.


How does it smell?
It smells nutty and not too overpowering. Kind of smells like almond, peanut, or some kind of nut. It's hard to distinguish. It does have a nutty or woody scent to it. It doesn't bother me as some people claim. At least it's not overly fragrant like many natural products you buy in the store. The smell slowly fades away, but I can still smell a hint of it if I stick my nose to my skin. It might not be a pleasant scent everyone likes. It takes a bit of time to get used to. 


What do I use it for?
I use it daily on my eczema and scar to see if it can help my skin improve. These are my one month results. It works as a heavy eye cream for my undereyes. I melt the shea butter on my ring finger and gently tap it around my eyes. I don't do this everyday because it's a bit heavy but it does give a boost of moisture. It was too thick and heavy for my face. It's pore blocking and has caused some acne on my face so I would recommend testing a small area first. The skin on your face is thinner than your body so I would advise not to apply too much or only to necessary parts where it needs extra moisturization. I would melt the shea butter on the palm of my hands and rub it to heat the shea butter. Then I put my hands on for face for at least 10 secs. This way you're not applying it directly and too thick of a layer. I also use it on my lips. It's an alternative to chapsticks or vaseline which contains mineral oil. Rub it on your hands to prevent it from drying out from overwashing your hands, washing dishes, doing chores, etc. It's multi purpose to use from head to toes. I keep this on my desk and rub it on throughout the day. If it's too thick add a light oil like jojoba, argan, sweet almond, and etc and mix it with a fork. It makes it softer and easier to apply.


TIPS: If the product is too hard or stiff to use, use a fork and press around the shea butter. This way it softens it and is easier to pick up the product. I been doing this to product every time it starts to get a bit stiff. I scrape mines all to the side so there's a little hole in the center so it's easier for me to reach in and take the product. I think the fork blends it to makes it creamier and the shea butter a smoother texture.


Do I recommend this product?
YES!!! It's all natural without any fragrance or harmful ingredients. It's pure to use on the skin without worrying about cancer causing chemicals. Try and see if it works for you. Everyone's skin reacts differently. I can't say it'll do miracles, but this company is good to try out. They are Fair Trade Certified so that means fair pay and benefits to their workers. Their children also benefit in education and health care. 


Where to find it?
Check out their website here
So glad I discovered this on drugstore.com while I was searching for shea butter. Then I researched fair trade unrefined shea butter since the description was saying how unrefined is better for the skin. I'm glad I did that and it really helped me understand what it is and what a great company Out of Africa is. Go research what this company is doing for the people in Africa. 

It's so hard finding this product anywhere near me. I was so desperate in trying this product to see the results that I went to Walgreen's to find it but later realize they don't sell it in the stores and online only. The only thing I found was two soaps they make in the skin care isle.


I was not paid to review this. I support companies that have good values for their company, workers, and environment. Support businesses that have good ethics. Hope this is helpful.


Use Ebates.com and get cash back for shopping on drugstore.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Josie Maran argan oil vs Acure argan oil

Everyday Minerals Base Foundation

Everyday Minerals Try Me Foundation Kit Medium