How to clean makeup brushes with castile soap?

How I Clean and Dry My Makeup Brushes
Synthetic makeup brushes can take overnight—or sometimes even longer—to dry completely. Drying time often depends on the size and density of the brush because thicker bristles hold more water.
How I Help My Brushes Dry Faster
After washing a brush, I gently shake off as much excess water as possible. I usually do this over the bathtub so I can shake the brush more firmly without splashing water all over the sink area.
Next, I use a clean, dry towel to remove additional moisture. I gently sweep the bristles back and forth across the towel a few times. Avoid scrubbing or pressing too hard because this can damage the bristles or affect the brush’s shape.
Once most of the excess water has been removed, I reshape the bristles and lay the brush flat to dry. When possible, I position the bristles slightly over the edge of a counter so air can circulate around them.
Avoid drying brushes upright with the bristles facing upward. Water can travel into the ferrule—the metal section that connects the bristles to the handle—and weaken the glue over time.
These steps do not make brushes dry instantly, but they usually help shorten the drying process.
My Favorite Makeup Brush Cleanser: Castile Soap
Over the years, I have tried baby shampoo, regular shampoo, facial cleanser, dish soap, and store-bought brush cleansers. Castile soap has become my favorite option.
It is economical, effective, and a small amount goes a long way. I usually purchase Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap from Whole Foods, especially when it is on sale. My preferred option is the unscented light-blue bottle because it does not contain added fragrance. I have also purchased the store brand from Sprouts and it cleans just as effective.
How I Clean Makeup Brushes with Castile Soap
- Add a few drops of Castile soap to a small bowl of water and mix well. I do not recommend applying a large amount of soap directly to the brush because concentrated soap can take much longer to rinse out.
- Dip only the bristles into the soapy water. Try to keep the ferrule and handle as dry as possible.
- Gently swirl the brush until the makeup begins to dissolve and come out of the bristles.
- Rinse thoroughly under lukewarm running water, keeping the bristles pointed downward.
- Repeat the process when necessary. Dense foundation brushes often hold more product, especially when they are used with full-coverage formulas. I usually wash these brushes twice to remove all the buildup.
- Gently squeeze out excess water with a clean towel, reshape the bristles, and lay the brush flat to dry.
How I Clean Lip and Eyeliner Brushes
Lip and eyeliner brushes often contain waxy or long-wearing product residue that does not come off easily with the regular cleaning method.
Here is what I do:
- Place one or two drops of Castile soap in the palm of my hand.
- Gently work the bristles into the soap until the remaining product begins to dissolve. Avoid bending, crushing, or scrubbing the bristles too aggressively.
- Rinse the brush thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process when necessary.
- Reshape the bristles and lay the brush flat to dry.
Cleaning makeup brushes regularly helps remove makeup buildup and keeps the bristles performing at their best. Be especially gentle with delicate eye and lip brushes because their small bristles can lose their shape more easily.

Comments
Post a Comment