Skip to main content

Bare Minerals Ready Foundation SPF 20 Medium Beige N20



A solid mineral foundation that doesn’t look or feel like a foundation.

What it does:
The proprietary solid mineral technology in this foundation will give you a completely new perspective on what a foundation can do for you. Invisible long-wearing coverage beautifully covers everything yet feels like nothing. It leaves behind no traces of makeup, and the more you use it, the better your skin looks. Exceptional hydrating coverage lasts up to 12 hours with a no-makeup look and feel.

Experience the power of positively charged sea minerals. This foundation is proven to hydrate and replenish throughout the day while diminishing the appearance of lines and wrinkles for softer, smoother, younger-looking skin. It is formulated without binders, fillers, or harsh chemicals.

Research results:
Time-released mineral hydration delivers 108% increase in skin hydration and 12 hours of wear.

My thoughts:
As a Bare Minerals user for about 5 years now, I was waiting for the company to come out with a solid mineral foundation. I always thought that the loose powder was messy and sometimes difficult to apply when I have dry skin. This READY foundation is really not up to par for all the claims for hydrating the skin and 12 hours of wear. The first day I wore this, my face was getting cakey and chalky within the first few hours. By the time I got home, my face look very drying and it made me look 10 years older. It was a disaster. I never experience such problem with any products I used before. I had to take this off my face immediately. The thing is that I can see the product clinging onto every imperfection on my face and magnifying it. Honestly, on the long run, I think this product will make me age faster. Even when I do use this lightly, the product seem to be difficult to remove in some parts of my face.

In comparison to my loose powder, the application is not as easy as I thought it would be. The coverage is hard to build up and it does not blend well. Especially when I try to spot conceal with the powder, it seem to make my imperfections look worse and highlight it even more. I have to say that this foundation does need a specific type of brush for application. I have tried synthetic and natural bristle brushes. I found that the synthetic one works better. For that reason, I see why they encourage you to purchase the brush that is made for the Ready foundation. Although, you must layer the product on in very light layers and for the amount of time it takes to get full coverage, it is not worth it. The coverage to me is sheer to medium. Once you layer too much of this product on, it will get cakey at some point during the day. The application of the product works better when you make long light sweeps across the face. Be sure to only tap your brush lightly into the product. A little goes a long way and this way your application will not be heavy and cakey. Another thing is that the product didn't seem to blend well my natural oils like the powder version, which is one reason why the product didn't look very natural on my skin.




Ready Medium Beige vs Original Medium Beige

The texture of the Ready powder seem to be a little bit more grainy and thick compared to the powder. I'm not sure if that is one reason why the powder doesn't blend well into the skin. Finely milled powder usually melts into the skin and create a smooth finish. The Ready foundation doesn't seem to be like that to me. I'm not sure if it's the hydrating ingredients that makes the product like that or what makes the powder so heavy and difficult to blend.

When I called customer service, the BE associate told me she uses the same shade in both formulas. I went ahead and ordered it online. As you can see, the Ready swatch on the left is warmer and more on the yellow side. I prefer the original formula which have a more neutral tone. My skin is very difficult to match sometimes so a base that is not too warm or cool works best. I highly suggest going into a boutique store or Sephora to get color matched. Also have the beauty adviser show you the technique to apply the powder. Be sure to check your face every few hours to see if you run into the same issue I do.

Final thoughts:
I will try to stop by the boutique store to get shade match and see if that is the problem because I feel that I got the wrong shade and maybe that's why I am encountering those problems. I will continue to use it, but mostly likely to keep in my purse for light touchups during the day and not as a full coverage foundation. I don't find the coverage easy to build with this formulation and it makes my skin very dry. It can still work for my t zones where I'm more prone to oiliness. Maybe it works better in the summer. By the way, this product does contain Bismuth Oxychloride and my skin is somewhat sensitive to this ingredient. I really had high hopes for this product. I think it has more cons than pros to this product and I couldn't find a good reason why this may work for all skin types because it didn't work as it claims. Although, it may react on differently based on your skin.

UPDATE 1/5/2012:
Today I stopped by the BE store and asked for shade match. I told the beauty associate that I got the READY in medium beige and she said I might have to go a shade darker which would be in medium tan (for medium-to-tan skin with rosy undertones). It's actually a cool tone shade compared to my normal neutral shade in the powder formula. It blended in seamlessly and she kept telling me I need the Precision brush that is made specifically for this powder. I have to say the brush felt really nice and the bristles are fluffy and dense enough to distribute the powder perfectly. I kept asking her to show me how to use it with the handy buki brush since that's what I have already, but she kept telling me I will return to get the precision brush because the other brushes won't give me the same results. Since I ordered the foundation online, I had to call customer service to see if I can exchange it in the store. Customer was really helpful and told me to get shade match first and call them back so they can send me a new shade free of charge. I can also keep the one I ordered. After my frustration with their foundation and late shipments of my online orders, I'm really pleased with BE level of customer service. Once I get my new foundation, I will review the product again to see if I have new opinions on it. Although, I don't really have high hopes on this product. After my BE visit, I still see the product kind of uneven on my skin and it was quite heavy on my forehead where the beauty associate applied on my face. I'm not too sure if it was the product, but my skin had a little breakout that night.

Size: 14 g / 0.49 Oz.
Price: $29

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 11%, Zinc Oxide 18%. Inactive Ingredients: Boron Nitride, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Magnesium Silicate, Silica, Nylon-12, Humic Acids, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Jojoba Esters, Corallina Officinalis Extract, Lecithin, Betaine, Algae Extract. May Contain: Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Josie Maran argan oil vs Acure argan oil

Everyday Minerals Base Foundation

Everyday Minerals Try Me Foundation Kit Medium