Target Brand: Up & Up witch hazel antiseptic Review


Product type: Astringent and facial cleanser
Claims: Helps soothe and relieve minor skin irritations
Active ingredient: Witch hazel, 86%
Inactive ingredient: Alcohol, 14% by volume
Size: 16 fl oz (473 mL)
Price: $2.49

Pros
  • Fragrance-free
  • Short and simple ingredient list
  • Inexpensive
  • Can help remove leftover oil, dirt, and makeup residue after cleansing
  • May work well for oily or acne-prone skin
  • Can be used on minor skin irritations, insect bites, or freshly shaved areas

Cons

  • Contains 14% alcohol, which may be drying or irritating
  • Strong medicinal and herbal scent
  • May not be suitable for dry, sensitive, or dehydrated skin
  • Did not produce noticeable long-term improvements in my skin

I had always wanted to try T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel, but many reviews mentioned its strong smell. When I saw this less expensive Target version, I decided to try it first and see what the fuss was about.

Unfortunately, the scent is not pleasant. It is difficult to describe, but it smells strongly medicinal and herbal. The smell is most noticeable when I pour the product onto a cotton pad and apply it to my face. It fades after I finish the rest of my skincare routine, so it may become less bothersome over time. However, I personally could not get used to it. I also smelled the T.N. Dickinson’s version in the store, and the two products seemed quite similar.

Even though this formula contains 14% alcohol, it did not dry out my skin as much as I expected. It worked best during the summer, when my skin was slightly oilier. However, I would be cautious about using it regularly during colder months or whenever my skin feels dry or dehydrated.

I did not notice any major changes in my skin with regular use. It worked well as an additional cleansing or toning step after washing my face, especially for removing leftover oil, dirt, or makeup residue. I also used it on insect bites and freshly shaved areas, where it felt cooling and calming.

This product is a much less expensive alternative to T.N. Dickinson’s Witch Hazel. It may also appeal to people who want a stronger, more traditional witch hazel astringent. However, I still prefer Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel because it feels gentler and more comfortable on my skin.

I do not plan to repurchase this product, mainly because of the scent and alcohol content. I also probably will not purchase the T.N. Dickinson’s version, since its scent and formula appear to be similar.

Overall, this is an affordable and versatile witch hazel product for oily skin or occasional use on minor skin irritations. People with dry, sensitive, or compromised skin may prefer an alcohol-free formula instead.

I found this product in the first-aid aisle near the hydrogen peroxide and bandages at my local Target. Both this product and the T.N. Dickinson’s version come in a 16-ounce bottle, so this is an inexpensive way to find out whether you enjoy using traditional witch hazel before spending more on another brand.

Would I repurchase it? No.
Best for: Oily or acne-prone skin and occasional first-aid use
May not be suitable for: Dry, sensitive, or dehydrated skin

Comments

Popular Posts