Josie Maran argan oil vs Acure argan oil Review
Josie Maran Argan Oil vs. Acure Argan Oil
Argan oil is a lightweight multipurpose oil that can be used to moisturize the face and body, soften cuticles, smooth dry hair, and condition rough areas such as elbows and heels.
Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil
Josie Maran describes its 100% Pure Argan Oil as a daily moisturizer and treatment for the skin, hair, and nails. The oil is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E and can be used to:
- Moisturize and soften the skin
- Add extra nourishment to a facial moisturizer
- Smooth dry hair and split ends
- Condition hands and cuticles
- Create a dewy finish on dry skin
The oil is first cold-pressed and packaged in a recyclable glass bottle. According to the brand, the argan oil is sourced through women’s cooperatives in Morocco.
The company also reports that, in a four-week study, participants experienced improvements in skin hydration and elasticity. These results are specific to the company’s study and may not reflect everyone’s experience.
Acure Argan Oil
Acure markets its argan oil as a multipurpose oil for the face, body, hair, hands, and cuticles. Suggested uses include:
- Facial oil or moisturizing serum
- Body and décolleté massage oil
- Hair serum
- Hand and cuticle treatment
- Moisturizer for dry elbows and heels
The formula contains certified-organic Argania spinosa kernel oil. Acure also describes the product as vegan and cruelty-free.
My Experience
When I first saw Josie Maran Argan Oil at Sephora, I researched other brands to see whether I could find a more affordable alternative. Josie Maran’s oil seemed expensive for the amount of product included.
I eventually purchased the limited-edition Josie Maran Moroccan Getaway Travel Case, which included several travel-size products. It was a good way to try the line without purchasing each product individually. One of the items was a small bottle of the brand’s argan oil.
I like Josie Maran’s overall brand philosophy and the story behind its ingredient sourcing. However, since pure argan oil is such a simple product, I was curious to see how it compared with a less expensive version.
I later found Acure Argan Oil at Whole Foods during a skincare sale. I believe I paid approximately $12 for it. The Acure bottle contained about twice as much oil as the travel-size Josie Maran bottle for a similar price.
The Acure oil had a slight citrus-like or nutty scent. Some reviewers found the scent unpleasant, but it did not bother me. Natural oils can vary slightly in scent between batches, and I found that the smell became much less noticeable after application.
Both brands also emphasized sourcing their argan oil from women’s cooperatives in Morocco and supporting more sustainable harvesting practices.
How I Use Argan Oil
I normally place a few drops into my palms, gently press my hands together, and then press the oil onto my face. Warming the oil between my hands makes it more pleasant to apply, although it is the gentle pressing and the small amount of product—not the heat itself—that helps it spread evenly.
Sometimes I mix one drop with my nighttime moisturizer when my skin needs additional nourishment. I usually reserve argan oil for the evening because applying too much can make my face look shiny during the day.
Argan oil is especially helpful for me during the winter, when my skin becomes drier. It feels richer and more nourishing than jojoba oil while still being relatively lightweight.
I have not experienced clogged pores or breakouts from either product, but everyone’s skin is different. I would not assume that argan oil can treat acne, and acne-prone skin may want to begin with one or two drops and monitor how the skin responds.
Price Comparison
At the time I purchased these products:
- Josie Maran: Approximately $14 for 0.5 oz.
- Acure: Approximately $14.99 for 1 oz.
Prices may have changed since this review, but Acure offered significantly more product for approximately the same price.
What I Like About Argan Oil
- Lightweight compared with many other facial oils
- Spreads easily across the skin
- Absorbs well when used sparingly
- Can be used on the face, body, hair, hands, and nails
- Helps soften dry skin and rough cuticles
- Can smooth dry hair without feeling excessively greasy
- Did not clog my pores or cause breakouts
Final Thoughts
I enjoyed using both oils and did not notice a major difference in their performance. Josie Maran offers attractive packaging and a strong brand story, but Acure provides better value based on the amount of oil in the bottle.
I would be more likely to repurchase Acure because it offers a similar experience at a lower cost per ounce. I may also try argan oils from other reputable companies in the future.
Argan oil has become one of my favorite multipurpose oils, particularly during colder weather. It moisturizes my skin, softens dry areas, and can also be used sparingly on my hair and cuticles.
Which would I repurchase? Acure Argan Oil
Best for: Normal, dry, or dehydrated skin; dry hair; and rough cuticles
Use cautiously if: You are sensitive to facial oils or prone to congestion

I used and loved argan oil for awhile until I realized it was slowly clogging my pores. I stopped using it but my husband still uses it and really likes it - so much so that he always returns to it if he tries anything else. We used the Josie Maran brand at first, but after doing some searches found we could get the same quality for much cheaper. This is where we get ours: http://www.theposhpeddler.com/ (not affiliated). We usually purchase the two 2oz bottles for $32.95 & free shipping. Theirs is 100% pure organic, first cold pressed Argan. Anyway...if you end up liking the argan oil enough to use it for awhile it might be worth checking out some less expensive alternatives :-)
ReplyDeleteBesides increased moisture do you notice any differences/improvements? Enjoyed your review!
G. McG
I'm glad you enjoyed my review. Thanks for showing me another brand. That's a really good deal. I'll check it out when it runs out. I don't think I need another bottle for at least another year since I don't use it on a daily basis. I can see it slowly clogging pores. I have acne-prone skin so I only use it at night or unless my skin is super dry during winter or spring. Honestly I don't think there was any vast improvement other than the boost of moisturization. For the first few weeks of use, I used it every morning and night, I didn't really see any spectacular results with scars or anything.
ReplyDeleteVery Informative and detailed article about Argan Oil UK
ReplyDeleteThis article was written by a real thinking writer. I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer. I’ll be back.
ReplyDeleteHollywood Beauty Cocoa Butter Oil Moisturize
hollywood beauty cocoa butter oil review
hollywood beauty argan oil smoothing hair creme
hollywood beauty argan oil smoothing hair cream