Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Lotion Review

























SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Lotion Review: Texture, Scent and Packaging

Editor’s note: This review reflects the SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Lotion I originally purchased at Target. The product is still sold, but its name, formula, packaging, price, and certifications may have changed.

I had wanted to try SheaMoisture for a long time before discovering this Raw Shea Butter Lotion at Target. I had probably passed the brand several times without noticing it on the shelves.

The lotion was formulated with shea butter, frankincense, and myrrh and was intended to provide rich moisture for dry body skin. I was particularly interested in its thick texture and botanical-focused formula.

Texture and consistency

This was one of the thickest body lotions I had tried. Its consistency reminded me more of a body cream and was almost as thick as cupcake frosting.

Although it felt substantial during application, it spread reasonably well once I warmed it between my hands. It absorbed without leaving an excessively oily residue on my skin.

The rich texture made it especially appealing during colder weather or when my arms and legs felt very dry.

Moisturizing performance

The lotion left my body feeling noticeably soft and moisturized.

It provided more lasting comfort than many thinner drugstore lotions I had used at the time. Because it was so rich, I did not need to apply a large amount.

I considered it a good option for dry body skin and winter use. Someone who prefers lightweight lotions may find it heavier than necessary.

My experience using it on my face

I tested the lotion on my face one evening, and my skin felt very soft and smooth the following morning.

I did not notice an immediate breakout after that limited test. However, this was formulated as a body lotion, and my brief experience does not establish that it is appropriate for every face or skin type.

The formula also had a noticeable fragrance. For those reasons, I would now primarily use it on the body rather than recommend it as a regular facial moisturizer.

Anyone considering using a body product on the face should review the current ingredient list and begin with a small test area.

Scent

The frankincense-and-myrrh fragrance was noticeable and somewhat heavy.

To me, it smelled warm, earthy, and resinous. I did not dislike it enough to stop using the lotion, but it was not my favorite fragrance.

Someone who enjoys warm botanical or incense-like scents may appreciate it more. Those who prefer unscented body products or who are sensitive to fragrance may find it too strong.

Packaging

The packaging was the most frustrating aspect of the product.

The lotion was too thick to dispense easily from its original container. I often had difficulty squeezing out the amount I needed, particularly as the bottle became emptier.

I eventually transferred mine into a clean glass jar because that made the product easier to access. However, keeping cosmetics in their original packaging is generally preferable, and transferring a lotion requires extra care to keep the new container and hands clean.

A wide-mouth jar or a pump designed for thicker creams would have been more practical.

Ingredients and my changing perspective

When I originally bought this lotion, I was strongly attracted to products marketed without mineral oil, parabens, synthetic fragrance, and several other ingredients.

My approach has since become more balanced. I no longer assume that a natural ingredient is automatically safer or that a synthetic ingredient is automatically harmful.

I would now judge the product primarily by how well it moisturizes, whether my skin tolerates it, the scent, the packaging, and the quality of the complete formula.

I was also drawn to SheaMoisture’s fair-trade shea-butter sourcing. Because sourcing and certifications can change, readers should check the current packaging or official product information for updated details.

What I liked

  • Very thick and creamy texture
  • Left my dry body skin feeling soft
  • Rich enough for winter use
  • Absorbed without leaving an excessively greasy finish
  • A small amount covered a large area
  • Provided good value for the amount of product

What I did not like

  • The lotion was difficult to dispense from its packaging
  • The frankincense-and-myrrh scent was heavier than I preferred
  • The texture may be too rich for someone who prefers lightweight lotion
  • The fragrance may not suit sensitive skin

Final thoughts

The SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Lotion worked well for me as a rich body moisturizer.

Its strongest qualities were its thick texture, softening effect, and value. The packaging was poorly suited to such a dense formula, and the fragrance will likely be the most divisive part of the product.

I would have chosen it for dry arms, legs, hands, and other body areas, particularly during colder weather. I would not broadly recommend it as a facial moisturizer, even though my skin felt soft after my limited facial test.

Overall, this was a good body lotion for someone who enjoys rich creams and warm, earthy fragrances.

This post is sufficiently different from your unrefined-shea-butter review to keep: that article examines a single-ingredient solid butter, while this one reviews a fragranced, water-based body lotion and its packaging.

Comments

  1. Nice post. I read total Post. It’s really nice. Thank you for sharing.........


    East African Shea Butter

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts