Make Up Forever Aqua Cream Review
Anthacite (Silvery charcoal shimmer) Pink Beige (pinky beige shimmer)
Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream Review: Wear, Finish and Application
Editor’s note: This is a historical review of Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream. The product, shade selection, price and availability may have changed since this article was originally published.
Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream was marketed as a highly pigmented, waterproof cream color with a luminous finish.
I tested two shades: Charcoal and Pink Beige. The product cost approximately $22 for 0.21 ounces when I purchased it.
Shades and finish
Charcoal was the more versatile shade for me. I could use it to create a soft smoky eye that still felt appropriate for everyday wear.
Pink Beige was much more reflective. Although the color was attractive, it contained more shimmer than I preferred for an all-over everyday eye look.
Most of the shades I encountered had a shimmery, pearly or metallic finish. Someone who enjoys luminous eye makeup may appreciate the selection, but I would have preferred more understated or matte options.
Pigmentation
The Aqua Creams were highly pigmented, so I needed only a small amount.
One thin layer produced noticeable color. Adding more could intensify the result, but it was easy to apply too much and create an uneven or clumpy appearance.
I received the best result when I started with a very small amount and added another thin layer only where necessary.
Application
The formula began setting quickly, so I had to blend it immediately after application.
I generally preferred using a clean fingertip. The warmth of my finger helped spread the cream, and I could soften the edges before it dried.
I had more difficulty applying it with some of my eyeshadow brushes. A brush occasionally picked up too much product or left uneven edges before I had time to blend them.
A small, firm synthetic brush may work for precise placement, but fingers gave me the smoothest result with the tools I owned.
Because this was an eye-area product in a pot, I washed my hands before using my fingers and kept the container tightly closed between applications.
Wear and creasing
The staying power was the strongest feature.
On my eyelids, the Aqua Cream lasted throughout the day with very little noticeable movement. I also experienced minimal creasing when I applied it in a thin layer.
It performed well without a separate eye primer, although wear can vary depending on eyelid oiliness, skincare products and the amount applied.
When my eyelids were particularly oily, I sometimes used a very small amount of translucent powder before applying the cream. This helped reduce surface oil for me, but too much powder made the cream harder to blend.
Using it as an eyeshadow base
I could use the Aqua Cream alone or beneath powder eyeshadow.
A thin layer worked as a colored base and helped intensify powder shadows placed over it. However, I would not consider it a complete replacement for every eye primer.
The strong pigmentation and luminous finish could alter the color of the eyeshadow applied on top. Pink Beige, in particular, added more shimmer than I wanted beneath some looks.
Water resistance
During my informal test, the dried product remained in place under running water.
That demonstrated strong water resistance, but I would not treat it as a guarantee that the makeup would remain completely unchanged through swimming, rubbing, salt water, sweat or every type of physical activity.
The long-wearing formula could nevertheless be useful for warm, humid conditions or events where I wanted my eye makeup to last for several hours.

Texture
The cream felt smooth initially, but the fast-setting formula became less flexible as it dried.
If I applied too much or waited too long to blend it, the result could become uneven or clumpy. Thin layers were essential.
Because the product set firmly, removing it required a thorough eye-makeup remover or cleansing oil rather than water alone.
Scent
The formula had a noticeable cosmetic scent that I did not enjoy.
I could not identify which ingredient created the smell, and I would not attribute it to talc or another specific ingredient without evidence.
A product’s original base scent is different from a smell that develops as it ages. If an eye cosmetic begins smelling different, changes color or develops an unusual texture, I would stop using it.
What I liked
Strong pigmentation
Long-lasting wear on my eyelids
Minimal creasing when applied thinly
Strong water resistance in my informal test
Could be worn alone or beneath powder eyeshadow
Charcoal worked well for an everyday smoky look
Did not require a separate primer for my routine
What did not work for me
Most shades were more shimmery or metallic than I preferred
The formula set very quickly
It could become uneven or clumpy when overapplied
I found it more difficult to use with a brush
Pink Beige was too sparkly for my usual daytime makeup
The formula had a noticeable scent
The long-wearing texture required more effort to remove
Final thoughts
Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream impressed me most with its pigmentation and lasting power.
Charcoal was the more useful shade because it created an easy smoky look without requiring several products. Pink Beige was attractive but too shimmery for my everyday preferences.
The formula worked best when I applied a very small amount with my fingertip and blended immediately. Once it set, it stayed in place remarkably well on my eyelids.
Although the performance was strong, the reflective finishes and fast-setting texture made the product less versatile for me. I was uncertain whether I would repurchase it and was more interested in trying cream shadows with softer or more neutral finishes, such as Bobbi Brown cream eyeshadow or MAC Paint Pots.
Overall, this was a good option for someone who values pigmentation, water resistance and long wear. Someone who prefers matte shadows, slower blending time or a subtle finish might find it more difficult to use.

Comments
Post a Comment