Out of Africa Unrefined Shea Butter Skin Results
My Experience Using Unrefined Shea Butter on Very Dry, Irritated Skin
Editor’s note: This article documents my personal experience from 2011. It is not medical advice, and I cannot determine whether the changes I observed were caused by shea butter, other products, changes in my environment, or the natural course of my skin condition.
Several years before writing this review, I began developing persistent patches of dry, itchy and irritated skin on my neck and arm. The irritation began while I was working at a retail job. I wondered whether dust, heat, sweating or another workplace exposure contributed, but I never confirmed the cause.
Scratching made the areas more irritated, and sweat often made my neck feel uncomfortable. A doctor prescribed medication that helped control the itching, although the symptoms later returned.
Over time, I tried several products, including hydrocortisone, ointments, antibiotic ointment, lotions, creams and different plant oils. I also made changes to my diet. Because I was trying many things and did not follow a controlled routine, I cannot determine which changes affected my skin.
After leaving that job, the patch on my arm gradually improved, although some discoloration remained.
Why I tried unrefined shea butter
I became interested in unrefined shea butter because it is a rich, occlusive moisturizer. I hoped it would make the dry areas feel softer and more comfortable. This was an experiment with a moisturizer, not an attempt to replace professional eczema treatment. Moisturizers can help support dry skin, but persistent, severe or worsening rashes should be evaluated by a qualified healthcare professional.
The following timeline reflects only what I observed while using the product.
Week 1-2:
I applied a small amount of shea butter to the dry areas in the morning and evening. On some days, I reapplied it during the day. The texture initially felt heavy and seemed to remain on the surface of my skin, but it gradually absorbed. After approximately four days, the areas felt less dry. The change was subtle rather than dramatic.
During the second week, the skin became redder and more inflamed. I was also scratching and picking at it, which likely contributed to the irritation. The dry surface began peeling, and the skin underneath looked very red.
At the time, I wondered whether the peeling meant the area was improving. Looking back, I should not have interpreted redness or peeling as evidence that a product was working. I also developed several small bumps on the irritated skin. I could not determine whether they were related to the shea butter, sweating, scratching or the underlying skin condition.
When I tested the product on part of my face, I also developed a blemish. I stopped using it as a facial moisturizer since it's too heavy for my face.
Week 3-4
By the third and fourth weeks, some areas looked less red and swollen than they had during the second week. The surface also felt smoother and more moisturized. The itching had not completely stopped. The patch on my arm appeared smaller, although the discoloration remained.
I had used approximately one-third of the jar by this point because I was applying it frequently. I also became less aware of its natural nutty scent over time.
I enjoyed using the shea butter as a rich body moisturizer, particularly on areas that felt dry. However, I could not conclude that it was treating the underlying condition.
My application became inconsistent after the original four-week period, and I did not continue taking regular photographs.
September 17, 2011 update
By September, the patch on my arm was no longer visible. The patch behind my neck appeared smaller, while the areas on the sides of my neck had changed less noticeably.
Because I had stopped working in the original environment, changed my routine and used the product inconsistently, I cannot attribute these changes solely to shea butter.
I occasionally noticed bumps in the areas where the product was applied heavily, so I reduced how often I used it there.
I continued using shea butter on my lips and other dry areas because I liked its rich texture. I also applied it to stretch marks on my inner thighs. The skin temporarily felt softer and looked more moisturized, but I cannot determine whether the product changed the stretch marks themselves.


First off I would like to say thank you for being highly specific and honest. Most people are very discrete about products and don't even give you the full experience or truth about how it effected them or how to use it but not you, you were very specific and honest like I previously stated. Like you. I was very skeptical at first. So I didn't wanna purchase this product. Because I had purchase their tin can organic shea butter with grapefruit in the past which I apply on my hands, face, hair, and a small portion of my body. On my hands it was like a miracle, at the time my hand were very dry crack and even bleed from over cleaning and washing them but as soon a I applied the butter it didn't burn or disturb the crack/dry skin like alcohol based lotion and creams and even had it glowing. I'm a guy so I really don't worry about my nails but it made my nails grow rapidly I don't know if it was a gift or a curse. On my face it was super greasy and slippery and made me break out bad, but in the product defense I was all willy nilly with the product applying to much to my face oils in general are very potent and a little goes a long way so that was mostly my fault also I was using a random assortments of soap and then just applying right after a shower and I believe the soap residue, oils, and toxins was blocking the shea butter from healing and moisturizing the skin. Same with the hair too much at one time I was impatient didn't clean my hair really and etc. The tin was very small so it didn't really effect my body at all. Now I reconsidering the product. With my new method for hair growth and healthier skin. For my skin and face I am buying the neutrogena naturals line minus the makeup remover (http://naturals.neutrogena.com/?utm_source=n_com&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=n_com_hp) and Outofafricashea shea butter. The netrogena naturals lines is suppose to remove 99 percent of dirt, toxins, and doesn't clog pores. My method is use the soap first scrub second and the facial cleanser last dab my face with a dry towel and add a little shea butter to my face. For my hair (by the way I'm African American) just so you know. But intywayz for my hair I use Desert Essence Award winning Coconut Shampoo & Conditioner(http://www.desertessence.com/hair-care/coconut-shampoo) (http://www.desertessence.com/hair-care/coconut-conditioner) Spectrum Extra Virgin Coconut Oil which I gonna use twice a week for an hour then rinse with shampoo and conditioner then apply the shea butter or dessert essence organic jojoba oil I'm either use the them one one day and the other the next or use them in separate weeks back or take half the shea butter and half the jojoba oil melt them down and fuse them together oil hair moisturizer idek! Also it would cool and helpful if you made youtube video and updates on your skin and the product. P.S. sorry for the story.
ReplyDeleteThank you for visiting my blog and enjoying my review. Very nice to see a guy comment and also sharing your experience. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Shea Butter. It does amazing things on my skin. I'm Chinese and I put Coconut Oil on my hair as a treatment and jojoba oil for so many different purposes. Sorry I don't have a Youtube channel, I'm pretty camera shy and I always feel weird talking to a camera LOL. I'll seriously run away if someone is recording a video. I give props to those who make them.
ReplyDelete