Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 Review



Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 Review: Radiant Finish and Wear

Editor’s note: This is a historical review of Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15. The product appears to have been discontinued, and its formula, shades, price, packaging, and availability may no longer reflect Laura Mercier’s current makeup range.

After trying several mineral foundations over the years, I eventually settled on Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15.

I had previously used both the BareMinerals Original and Matte formulas. I appreciated the more matte appearance of BareMinerals Matte, but I generally preferred a little radiance rather than a completely flat finish.

The Laura Mercier powder gave me the softly glowing finish I was looking for while still providing enough coverage to even out my complexion.

Texture and application

The powder felt finely milled and blended easily with my mineral-foundation brushes.

I applied a small amount to the lid, worked it into a kabuki brush, tapped away the excess, and buffed it onto my face in thin layers.

It could be used alone as a light foundation or applied over BB cream, tinted moisturizer, or liquid foundation. When I wore it over another base product, I used less powder so the finished makeup would not look too heavy.

The closable sifter was one of my favorite packaging features. It reduced spills and made the loose powder more practical for travel, although the jar itself was relatively large.

Coverage

The coverage was sheer to medium on my skin.

One light layer helped even out my skin tone and soften the appearance of minor discoloration. I could add another thin layer where I wanted more coverage, but it did not completely conceal more noticeable blemishes or pigmentation.

When I needed fuller coverage, I preferred using concealer beneath the powder rather than continuing to build multiple powder layers.

Finish

The Laura Mercier powder gave my complexion a natural, softly radiant finish.

It was not completely matte, but it did not initially look overly shiny on my skin. The subtle pearlescent quality appeared to contribute to the glow.

As the day progressed and the powder mixed with my skin’s natural oils, the finish sometimes became dewier. I enjoyed this effect because it made the foundation look less powdery and more natural.

Someone who prefers a fully matte complexion might find the finish too luminous.

Wear and oil control

The powder held up reasonably well through most of the day.

I experienced mild shine around midday, particularly through my T-zone, but it was manageable. Blotting the area or applying a very small amount of finishing powder helped reduce the shine.

The foundation did not become noticeably patchy on me, and I did not see the shade turn significantly darker or more orange during wear.


Natural Beige (peach beige/ for fair to medium skin tones) 

Comparison with BareMinerals

The Laura Mercier powder gave me a more radiant finish than BareMinerals Matte.

BareMinerals Original also produced a glow, but that formula sometimes made my skin feel itchy. The Laura Mercier powder did not cause the same reaction, even when I became warm or sweaty.

Both formulas contained bismuth oxychloride, so I could not conclude that this ingredient alone caused my reaction to BareMinerals Original. There may have been another difference in the formulas or in how they interacted with my skin.

The Laura Mercier powder ultimately felt more comfortable and produced the finish I preferred.

Using it as a setting powder

Although it was marketed as a mineral foundation, I also used a small amount over tinted moisturizer, BB cream, or liquid foundation.

Because the powder was pigmented, it added some coverage rather than functioning like a completely translucent setting powder. This worked well when my base product was too sheer.

I had to use a light hand. Applying too much over an existing foundation could make the result look heavy.

SPF 15

The powder was labeled SPF 15.

I appreciated having SPF in the formula, but I would not rely on a light layer of mineral foundation as my primary sun protection. I would use a separate broad-spectrum sunscreen underneath and treat the SPF in the makeup as supplemental.

Shade range

The shade range available at the time was limited.

The selection appeared to focus primarily on fair through tan complexions and did not offer enough options for many deeper skin tones. Even within the available shades, undertone choices were limited.

Anyone purchasing a complexion product should test the shade in natural daylight and observe it for several hours when possible.

What I liked

  • Finely milled texture

  • Sheer-to-medium coverage

  • Natural radiant finish

  • Blended easily with a kabuki brush

  • Worked alone or over other base products

  • Did not noticeably oxidize on my skin

  • Held up reasonably well during the day

  • Closable sifter reduced spills

  • Large amount of product for the price I paid

  • Did not cause the itching I experienced with BareMinerals Original

What could be improved

  • Limited shade and undertone selection

  • Included bismuth oxychloride, which some users may prefer to avoid

  • Mild shine appeared around midday

  • Could look heavy when layered excessively

  • Pigmented formula was less versatile than a translucent setting powder

  • SPF 15 was not sufficient for me to use as my only sun protection

Price and size

The powder contained approximately 0.34 ounces and cost about $35 when I purchased it.

The jar was larger than the BareMinerals containers I had owned, so I considered it a reasonable value at the time. Because I used only a small amount during each application, one jar lasted a long time.

Final thoughts

Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15 became my preferred mineral foundation because of its comfortable wear and softly radiant finish.

It provided enough coverage to even out my complexion without looking completely matte. I especially liked how the powder became slightly dewier as it mixed with my skin’s natural oils throughout the day.

The main drawbacks were the limited shade range and mild midday shine. It was also important to apply it in thin layers because too much powder could look heavy.

For my combination skin and preference for a natural glow, it performed better than the other mineral foundations I had tried at the time.

Comments

Popular Posts