Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder Review




Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder Review: Finish, Coverage and Packaging

Editor’s note: This is a historical review of the original Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder. The product and its later HALO Fresh version have been discontinued. Its formula, shades, price, packaging, and availability may no longer reflect Smashbox’s current powder collection.

I loved the finish of Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder.

Smashbox marketed HALO as a radiant loose powder with sheer-to-buildable coverage and a built-in grinder that shaved off a fresh amount of powder for each application.

The powder cost approximately $59 and contained 0.75 ounces when I purchased it. Although the initial price seemed high, the large amount of product and the unique packaging made it feel like a reasonable value to me.


Color: Light - for light beige & sand skin with neutral undertones
See the halo glow it gives below the swatch.

Texture and finish

HALO gave my complexion the right amount of luminosity without looking excessively shiny.

It looked less dry and powdery than many mineral foundations I had used. That was what I understood the brand to mean by a “hydrating” finish: it did not actually feel like a moisturizer, but it made my skin look softer and less chalky.

The powder blended smoothly over my complexion and did not noticeably cling to my dry patches. It also made some texture and fine lines look less prominent while I was wearing it.

I would describe this as a temporary cosmetic effect rather than an anti-aging treatment.

Coverage

The coverage was sheer but could be built to approximately light-to-medium on my skin.

It worked best when I had relatively little discoloration and mainly wanted to even out my complexion. It did not provide the same level of coverage as the BareMinerals foundations I had used.

When I needed more coverage, I applied HALO over tinted moisturizer, BB cream, or liquid foundation. It added a small amount of pigment while softening the appearance of the base underneath.

I could build it in thin layers without immediately creating a cakey finish, but it was not a full-coverage foundation.

Using it as a setting powder

HALO worked well over liquid and cream complexion products.

A light layer helped set my foundation while preserving a natural glow. It did not create the flat, visibly powdered finish I experienced with some setting powders.

Because it contained pigment, I had to choose a compatible shade and use a light hand. Applying too much could change the color of the foundation underneath.

Shade match

Light was my best match in this formula and was somewhat comparable to BareMinerals Medium Beige on my complexion.

The shade appeared darker than I expected from the name. Instead of recommending that everyone automatically buy a lighter shade, I would advise testing it on the face and checking the color in natural light.

Shade names do not translate consistently across brands or even across different formulas from the same brand.

The shade selection was limited to six colors at the time, which did not adequately accommodate the full range of complexions and undertones.

Built-in grinder

The built-in grinder was my favorite feature.

Turning the mechanism shaved a small amount of pressed product into fresh loose powder. It offered some of the convenience of a compact while producing the texture and finish of loose powder.

I liked being able to control how much powder I released. Grinding only a small amount helped reduce waste and prevented me from loading too much onto my brush.

I wished more powder compacts used a similar design.

The disadvantages were that powder residue collected around the grinder and mirror, and I could not easily see how much product remained inside.

Included brush

My set included a small brush.

It was adequate for quick applications, but it was not my preferred tool for using the powder over my entire face. The brush shed during use and did not distribute the product as evenly as my regular powder brushes.

For travel, I preferred carrying a small retractable brush that protected the bristles and gave me better control.

Wear

The powder wore well on my combination skin.

I experienced some shine as the day progressed, but the finish generally became dewier rather than visibly greasy. I did not notice significant oxidation or a strong change in color.

The formula provided some oil absorption, but it was not an intensely mattifying powder. Someone with consistently oily skin might need to blot or use a more targeted setting powder through the T-zone.

Comparison with BareMinerals

HALO was not a direct replacement for BareMinerals.

BareMinerals offered more buildable foundation coverage, while HALO gave me a softer and more naturally radiant finish. The BareMinerals Original formula sometimes looked too shiny on my skin, whereas HALO produced a subtler glow.

I preferred HALO when finish and comfort were more important than coverage. I preferred a traditional mineral foundation when I needed to cover more discoloration.

Formula notes

The formula did not contain talc, parabens, or bismuth oxychloride in the version I purchased.

The absence of bismuth oxychloride interested me because some mineral powders containing that ingredient had felt uncomfortable on my skin. However, the presence or absence of one ingredient does not determine whether a product will suit everyone.

The ingredient list also included mica, silica, synthetic wax, dimethicone, goji extract, a peptide, and gold pigment.

I would not rely on the presence of gold, minerals, extracts, or peptides as evidence that the powder treated wrinkles or changed the structure of my skin. My positive opinion was based on the product’s finish, coverage, comfort, and packaging.

Price and value

At approximately $59, HALO was more expensive than many mineral foundations.

However, the 0.75-ounce compact contained considerably more product than the full-sized BareMinerals foundations I was comparing it with at the time. Because I used only a small amount during each application, it lasted a long time.

The built-in grinder also made the product feel more distinctive and practical.

Whether it represented good value depended on the desired coverage. Someone expecting a full-coverage foundation might have been disappointed, while someone seeking a sheer luminous powder could have found the price easier to justify.

Packaging problem

After several months, the compact’s closure broke.

I could still close the case, but it no longer felt secure enough for travel. I had to place a rubber band around the compact to prevent it from opening inside my makeup bag.

This was disappointing, particularly for a product at this price. A twist-lock lid or sturdier closure would have been more dependable.

The packaging was also not refillable, even though the grinder mechanism would have made a refill system appealing.

Keeping the compact clean

I used clean brushes and kept the compact closed when it was not in use.

When powder accumulated around the grinder or mirror, I removed the loose residue with a clean, dry tissue. I avoided allowing water or cleaning liquid to enter the powder or internal mechanism.

I also washed my makeup brushes regularly and allowed them to dry completely before using them with the compact.

What I liked

  • Natural luminous finish

  • Sheer-to-light-medium buildable coverage

  • Did not look cakey or excessively powdery on my skin

  • Did not noticeably cling to my dry patches

  • Worked alone or over tinted moisturizer, BB cream, and foundation

  • Helped set foundation without creating a flat matte finish

  • Did not noticeably oxidize on my complexion

  • Built-in grinder allowed me to control the amount dispensed

  • Large amount of product

  • Lasted a long time

  • Did not contain bismuth oxychloride in the version I purchased

What could be improved

  • Limited shade range

  • Coverage was too sheer for noticeable imperfections

  • No meaningful sun protection

  • Compact was bulky for a small makeup bag

  • Powder residue collected on the mirror

  • Difficult to see how much product remained

  • Included brush shed and was not especially effective

  • Packaging was not refillable

  • Closure broke after several months

  • Expensive initial purchase price

Final thoughts

Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder was one of my favorite powders because of its softly luminous, non-cakey finish.

It did not provide enough coverage to replace BareMinerals as a traditional mineral foundation. However, it worked beautifully as a sheer complexion powder or as a finishing layer over tinted moisturizer and foundation.

The built-in grinder was innovative and helped justify the cost, although the broken closure and nonrefillable packaging were significant disappointments.

For my combination skin, HALO offered a good balance between a matte setting powder and a highly reflective mineral foundation. I would have repurchased it primarily for its finish rather than its historical anti-aging claims.


Comments

Popular Posts