Missha Pure Source Sheet Mask Tea Tree Review

MISSHA Tea Tree Sheet Mask Review: Hydrating but Not an Acne Treatment
Editor’s note: This is a historical review of an older MISSHA Tea Tree sheet mask that I purchased in Hong Kong. MISSHA now sells other tea-tree masks, but the formula, packaging, price, and availability may differ from the version discussed here.
I bought a box of MISSHA Tea Tree sheet masks while visiting a MISSHA store in Hong Kong.
The packaging described the product as a cotton sheet mask made with a tea tree ingredient for troubled-looking skin. I was interested in it because I had acne and lingering marks from previous blemishes.
A sales associate recommended the mask as part of a routine for clearer-looking skin. She told me that using it only two or three times would not be enough and suggested applying one every day for a month.
I was glad that I purchased only one box instead of the three boxes she initially recommended. Using a disposable sheet mask every day would have been expensive and would have created considerably more packaging waste.
The associate’s personal experience was also anecdotal. Her clear-looking complexion did not establish that this particular mask had cleared her skin, especially because makeup and other skincare products may also have affected its appearance.
Fit and application
I applied the mask after cleansing and toner, following the package instructions.
I unfolded the sheet, positioned it over my face, and left it on for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. After removing it, I gently patted the remaining essence into my skin rather than rinsing it away.
There was usually enough essence left in the package to apply to my neck. I used it immediately rather than saving the opened packet for another day.
How it felt on my skin
The strongest benefit was hydration.
My skin felt softer and more moisturized immediately after I removed the mask. The essence left a fresh feeling without producing dramatic visible changes.
I did not experience immediate clearing of my acne or noticeable fading of post-acne marks. A single sheet mask is unlikely to produce that type of result, and I did not use the masks consistently enough to evaluate meaningful longer-term changes.
I would describe this primarily as a hydrating sheet mask with a tea tree ingredient rather than an acne treatment.
Tea tree ingredient
Tea tree appeared near the end of the ingredient list on the version I purchased.
That suggested it was not one of the dominant ingredients, but an ingredient list does not reveal the exact percentage. Ingredients present at very low concentrations may also appear in a different order near the end of a cosmetic label.
I therefore could not determine how much tea tree the mask contained or whether it contributed significantly to the results.
I would not replace this mask by applying undiluted tea tree essential oil directly to blemishes. Concentrated essential oils can irritate the skin, and a professionally formulated cosmetic is not equivalent to applying pure oil.
Scent
The mask did not smell strongly like the tea tree oil products I had previously encountered.
To me, the fragrance was more citrus-like and slightly reminiscent of dish detergent. I did not find it especially pleasant, although the scent was not strong enough to prevent me from finishing the masks.
People who are sensitive to fragranced skincare may want to check the current ingredient list before using a similar product.
Daily use and parabens
When I originally wrote this review, I advised against daily use partly because the formula contained parabens.
My view has since changed. I would not judge the safety of a cosmetic solely by the presence or absence of parabens.
My main objections to using this sheet mask every day were the cost, the amount of single-use waste, and the possibility that frequent exposure to fragrance or other ingredients could irritate some complexions.
A sheet mask can be an occasional hydrating addition to a routine, but it is not essential for clear skin.
Price and value
The mask cost approximately $1.99 per sheet on the MISSHA U.S. website when I originally wrote this review.
I paid approximately HKD 235 for a box in Hong Kong, which was around $30 at the exchange rate I recorded at the time. The Hong Kong price felt high compared with the U.S. listing.
Because the effect was mainly temporary hydration, I did not think it offered enough value for me to repurchase an entire box at that price.
Current prices and package sizes may be different.
What I liked
Left my skin feeling moisturized
Provided a cooling and refreshing skincare step
Included enough essence for my face and neck
Convenient single-use format
Did not require rinsing
Worked well as an occasional hydrating treatment
What I did not like
Expensive at the price I paid in Hong Kong
Did not noticeably clear my acne
Did not visibly fade post-acne marks
Fragrance reminded me of lemon-scented detergent
Daily use would have been costly and wasteful
The marketing and sales recommendation created unrealistic expectations
Final thoughts
The MISSHA Tea Tree sheet mask worked adequately as a moisturizing treatment, but I did not find it effective enough to recommend specifically for acne or post-acne marks.
My skin felt softer and more hydrated after use, but I had experienced similar or better results from less expensive sheet masks.
I would not purchase a month’s supply with the expectation that the masks would clear my complexion. Someone who enjoys fragranced sheet masks and wants temporary hydration may appreciate it, but it should not replace a consistent acne routine or professional treatment when acne is persistent.
I would not have repurchased the box at the price I paid.

Comments
Post a Comment