Facial spray refreshers for summer
3.Thayers Alcohol-free Original Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera Formula
4.MAC Fix+ Skin Refresher / Finishing Mist
5.H2O Plus Oasis
Facial Mists I Used for Summer and Makeup Application
Editor’s note: This article reflects the products and formulas available when it was originally published. Some items may have since been reformulated, renamed or discontinued.
During warm weather, I enjoyed carrying a facial mist because it felt cooling and refreshing after spending time in the heat.
I also used certain mists during makeup application. Depending on the formula, a light mist could help my foundation look less powdery or make the layers of makeup appear more blended. However, not every facial spray functions as a true setting spray or extends makeup wear.
These were the five products I used at the time:
The Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist
Evian Mineral Water Facial Spray
Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
MAC Fix+
H2O Plus Oasis Mist
How I used facial mists
Sometimes I applied a facial mist after moisturizer and before makeup. I used only a light amount and allowed it to settle before applying the next product.
When using a mist over finished makeup, I held the bottle away from my face and sprayed lightly. Applying too much could leave the makeup overly wet or cause it to move.
I also occasionally misted a clean foundation brush before using it. The brush was only slightly damp rather than wet. This helped certain foundations spread more smoothly for me, although the technique did not work equally well with every formula.
The Body Shop Vitamin E Face Mist
The Body Shop mist was one of the more moisturizing-feeling products in this group.
I liked using it when my skin felt dry or when powdered makeup looked too heavy. A light application helped the finish appear softer on my skin.
Because this is an older review, readers should check the current product description and ingredient list before purchasing.
Evian Mineral Water Facial Spray
The Evian spray was a simple mineral-water mist.
It did not replace moisturizer for me, but it felt cooling during hot weather. I also used it to lightly dampen my foundation brush before stippling foundation over my skin.
When used over makeup, I sprayed it sparingly. Too much water could disturb the foundation rather than improve it.
Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Toner
I sometimes transferred a small amount of the original Thayers toner into a clean travel spray bottle and used it as a refreshing mist.
The formula felt light on my skin, and the spray format made it convenient to use. However, it was still a toner rather than a dedicated makeup-setting spray.
I would not add glycerin, water, essential oils or other ingredients to the toner. Altering a finished formula can affect its texture, stability and preservation.
Anyone with sensitive skin should also remember that witch hazel and botanical ingredients may not suit every complexion.
MAC Fix+
MAC Fix+ was my favorite product in this group for use with makeup.
I especially enjoyed the limited-edition rose version because of its scent. A light application helped powder products look more blended and reduced the overly dry or powdery appearance that I sometimes experienced.
I considered it more of a finishing and refreshing mist than a product that made my makeup completely transfer-proof.
The standard version provided a similar finishing effect without the rose scent.
H2O Plus Oasis Mist
The H2O Plus mist was another formula that felt more moisturizing than a plain water spray.
I liked using it when my skin felt dry and needed a quick refresh. As with the other products, the effect was temporary and did not replace my regular moisturizer.
Because H2O Plus products may no longer be widely available, this portion of the article should be treated as an archive of my experience rather than a current shopping recommendation.
About my earlier ingredient preferences
When I originally wrote this article, I was actively avoiding parabens and planned not to repurchase some products solely because they contained them.
My approach has since become more balanced. I would now consider the complete formulation, how the product performs and how my skin responds rather than judging a cosmetic by the presence or absence of one preservative.
I also would not recommend replacing professionally formulated mists with homemade mixtures of water and glycerin. Water-based products require appropriate preservation and careful formulation.
Tips for carrying a facial mist
A small travel-size bottle can be convenient during hot weather, but it should be kept clean and stored away from excessive heat.
I avoided touching the spray nozzle directly to my skin and did not share the bottle with other people.
If my face felt sweaty, I gently blotted it with a clean tissue before applying more makeup. Spraying mist directly over heavy sweat, oil and makeup did not actually cleanse my skin.
Facial mist also does not replace sun protection. I applied sunscreen as part of my morning skincare routine and followed the product’s directions for reapplication.
Final thoughts
My favorite options depended on how I planned to use them.
MAC Fix+ was my preferred choice for making finished makeup look less powdery. The Body Shop and H2O Plus mists felt more moisturizing on my skin. Evian provided a simple cooling mist, while the Thayers toner was a convenient product that I occasionally used in a spray format.
Facial mists were pleasant additions to my routine, but they were not essential skincare products. They provided a temporary cooling or refreshing effect, while my moisturizer and sunscreen remained the more important parts of my summer skincare routine.

Comments
Post a Comment