Bare Escentuals Prime Time oil control foundation primer



Bare Escentuals Prime Time Oil Control Primer Review

Editor’s note: This review reflects the version, packaging and price of Bare Escentuals Prime Time Oil Control Primer available when I originally tested it. The product may have since been discontinued, reformulated or replaced.

Bare Escentuals marketed Prime Time Oil Control as a water-based, oil-free and silicone-free primer designed to reduce shine before applying mineral foundation.

I was interested in the product because I had combination, sensitive and acne-prone skin at the time. I also wanted an alternative to the silicone-based Smashbox primer I had been using.

Unfortunately, this primer did not work well with my skin or foundation routine.

Texture and application

The primer had a thick, slightly glue-like texture. It dried more quickly than the silicone-based primers I had previously used, but it was difficult to spread evenly.

I had to use a small amount, distribute it very lightly and pat it over my skin. If I rubbed it too much, the product began rolling into small flakes.

The pilling became more noticeable when I buffed mineral foundation over it. In some areas, I had to brush or rub away pieces of primer before continuing with my makeup.

Even after the primer had dried, touching or rubbing my face sometimes caused more of the product to lift and clump.

Finish and oil control

The primer initially left my skin looking matte and reduced the appearance of shine.

For that reason, I could understand why someone with consistently oily skin might be interested in it, particularly during warm weather.

However, the matte effect came with a significant drawback for me. The primer made my skin look dry and emphasized existing dry patches and texture.

Appearance under foundation

Instead of making my foundation look smoother, the primer made it appear heavier and more uneven.

My mineral foundation looked cakey over it, especially in areas where the primer had pilled. Buffing the powder also disturbed the layer underneath and created additional flakes.

I preferred the appearance of my foundation when I applied it without this primer.

The product also did not noticeably blur or minimize the appearance of my pores. This was disappointing because smoothing the skin was one of the main reasons I wanted to use a primer.

Skin sensitivity

I did not notice new breakouts or significant irritation while testing the product.

However, that does not mean it will be suitable for everyone with sensitive or acne-prone skin. Skin reactions can vary, and the product’s drying texture may be uncomfortable for people who have dehydrated or flaky areas.

Scent and packaging

Although the primer was marketed as fragrance-free, it still had a noticeable scent from the formula itself. To me, it smelled somewhat synthetic, and I did not enjoy it.

The bottle contained 1 ounce of product, which was the same amount as the full-size Smashbox primer I was comparing it with. The Bare Escentuals packaging simply appeared smaller.

The primer cost approximately $21 when I purchased it.

What I liked

  • It was silicone-free, oil-free and marketed as fragrance-free.

  • It dried quickly.

  • It initially created a matte finish.

  • I did not notice new breakouts while testing it.

  • It may appeal to people who prefer a very matte base.

What did not work for me

  • The texture felt thick and glue-like.

  • It was difficult to spread evenly.

  • The product pilled when rubbed or blended.

  • Buffing mineral foundation over it caused more flaking.

  • It made my foundation look cakey.

  • It emphasized dry patches and skin texture.

  • It did not noticeably smooth the appearance of my pores.

  • The formula had a noticeable scent that I disliked.

Final thoughts

This was one of the least successful primers I had tried at the time.

Although it created a matte finish and did not noticeably irritate my skin, the application problems outweighed those benefits. It pilled, clumped and interfered with the way my mineral foundation applied.

I would not have repurchased it. I preferred my Smashbox primer, even though it contained silicone, because it created a smoother base and worked more reliably with my foundation.

Someone with very oily skin who uses a patting technique rather than buffing may have a different experience. For my combination skin and mineral-foundation routine, however, this primer was not a good match.

Comments

Popular Posts