Skip to main content

How to clean makeup brushes with castile soap?


Synthetic brushes normally take at least overnight or even longer to dry. The density of the bristles determines how much water or moisture the brush may hold which effects the drying time. After washing your brush, make sure to shake off the excess water. I usually do that in front of my bath tub so I can shake it with more force rather than splashing the excess water by the sink. Then I have a clean and dry towel to sweep the bristles on to take out some of the water that may be on the surface of the bristles. Don't scrub it on the towel. Just gently sweep the brush back and forth several times. Just shape it and lay it flat on top of a towel. Those steps usually help my brushes dry a bit faster. I tried using baby shampoo, my regular shampoo, face cleanser, dish soap, etc. Castile soap became my favorite over the years. I don't feel like I'm washing my brushes with the typical chemical filled brush cleansers from the beauty stores.

Castile soap is so versatile. I think its the best makeup brush cleanser. Simple natural ingredients and economical. I always Dr. Bronners from Whole Foods when they're on sale. Buy the blue bottle if you want it unscented. That's the one they recommend to use on babies.

My technique to cleaning makeup brushes with castile soap:
1. Dissolve a few drops of castile soap into a bowl of water. Be sure to do that. When you use the soap directly on the brush. You will be rinsing these bristles for a long time to get the soap off.
2. Swirl your brush around the soapy water until you see the makeup coming off the bristles.
3. Rinse well under running water.
4. Repeat the steps again if you have a lot of makeup build up on the brushes. I tend to wash my foundation brushes twice to get all the full coverage liquid foundation I have on there.

Tips on how to clean a liner brush:
Lip or eye liner brushes usually have some tough waxy residue so the technique above will not work. I usually use 1-2 drops of soap in my hand and work the brush into the soap until all the product dissolves. Then rinse with water and dry flat on a towel.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Josie Maran argan oil vs Acure argan oil

Everyday Minerals Base Foundation

Everyday Minerals Try Me Foundation Kit Medium